Thursday, September 23, 2004

Pubs & Bars: The Marquee (128 Pyrmont Bridge Rd. Camperdown)

Hang on dudes, what the fuck? Did I miss a memo? Was there some sort of meeting? When did Sydney decide to have such an awesome live music scene? Just a few months I ago I remember people whinging to me about how terrible the music scene was. I’d meet old, long-haired blokes on trains who’d tell me that ‘it’s never really been the same since Nick Cave played at Alexandria back in ’79.’ People in bands would say ‘I can’t get a gig anywhere! Live music is dead!’ Tim Freedman wrote Blow Up The Pokies and it was totally on point.

But now Sydney’s live music scene has gone fucking nuts. I have no idea how I missed it happening, but I’m glad it did. One of the reasons Sydney’s scene is so hot right now is that there are some great bloody venues: The Annandale, The Lansdowne, The Excelsior, The Gaelic Club, The Metro, The Harp, The Cat & Fiddle, @ Newtown, et al.

Now you can add the Marquee to the list. Jesus christ wearing a trucker hat, this place is awesome. Awesome interior? Check! Awesome sound? Check! Awesome location? Check! Awesome bands? Check! Cheap drinks? Uh…four out of five ain’t bad.

The Marquee is dark, with a few splashes of red lighting across the walls. There’s a pool table up the back, and a whole bunch of separate seating areas for the punter who doesn’t want to brave the mosh. The bar is large, meaning you don’t have to bash people mercilessly just to buy a schooie. There’s heaps of space. If they’d let me, I reckon I’d go to the Marquee just to roll around on the carpet.

It looks nice, it sounds nice, it feels nice. It’s the Marquee. Rock.

(Originally published in The Brag as part of the Hot Joints column).

No comments: