Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Rookie: Michelle Agius.

It’s rare than an artist can effectively combine content and form. Michelle Agius can do just that. Her works are intensely beautiful and rich in meaning. Her pieces are personal and yet universal. Her latest exhibition – entitled In The Raw Light - is an exploration of vulnerability through self-portraits. Agius’ naked body is the subject of many of the works, creating images that are both confronting and universally resonant.

What does vulerability mean to you and how do you express it artistically?

Vulnerability to me is about life itself as it seeks to know all its aspects. In the raw light is about the play between the conscious and the unconscious, slipping in and out of different ways of being, things seen & things unseen. I have expressed this by taking photos of my own body and placing myself in abstract places symbolic to me.

How do you feel about using your own body as the subject of your art?

I think using my own body to express the feeling of vulnerability was very appropriate as we live in a world ruled by our own worst critic [ourselves]… It was at first quiet confronting, but I’m glad I made the leap. I don’t see the images of myself as me – I generally use the term ‘figure’ as if I were talking about someone other than myself… I’m asking the viewers to find resonance within the work through their own experience.

What mediums have you used in this exhibition?

I have used quiet an eclectic mix of traditional mixed medium, computer generated images, digitally enhanced photographs and retouched images on giclee canvas. I love the speed and rush of computer technology; I’ve become a computer junky.

Tell me about some of your work prior to this exhibition.

I have been showing my work for the past twelve years from Brisbane to Byron Bay while raising my twin daughters - now twelve years old - mostly on my own. My work is generally a reflection of what is going on in my life. It is about my own personal journey and [my] constant seeking of my true identity and place.

(Originally published in The Brag as part of the Rookie column).

No comments: